Fredericksburg scene #2: "The Pink Lady" on Caroline Street



"The Pink Lady" on Caroline Street is a 1902-era home just a block from the train station in the Old Town section of Fredericksburg, Virginia. It sits overlooking the City Dock where the paddle-wheeler "The City of Fredericksburg" moors in the summertime. The trees just across the Rappahannock River sit on Ferry Farm, where George Washington lived from age 6 to age 22. The Daily Star on the newspaper truck is a turn-of-the-century predecessor of Fredericksburg's current newspaper, The Free Lance-Star.

Casey Alan Shaw
The Pink Lady on Caroline Street, 2011.
Oil on canvas board; 14 x 18 in.



ARTIST'S NOTE: I'm not sure what intrigued me so much about this particular old house. There are plenty of old Victorian homes in Fredericksburg to choose from when creating a painting. I think I was just intrigued because this home was sitting vacant when I passed it and had been for some time. I couldn't believe that no one was living in it. It's such a great house with such an incredible view off the two-story deck in the rear of the home. I spent some time trying to find out about this house thinking maybe I could rent it. But the only info I ever got was that it was tied up in litigation. To my knowledge, it sits empty still. Such a shame.