Fredericksburg scene #3: "Three Red Doors of St. George's"
Restaurants, shops and galleries line the streets of Fredericksburg, Virginia's Old Town area. George Washington's relatives attended St. George's Episcopal Church there in the 1700s. The present St. George's church building, on the left, rose in 1849. To the right on Princess Anne Street, the County Circuit Court Building was also erected during the same time period. Atop a hill across the Rappahannock River sits Chatham Manor. During the Civil War, Walt Whitman and Clara Barton assisted surgeons at the large plantation home when it served as a hospital for Union troops.
Casey Alan Shaw
Three Red Doors of St. George's, 2011
Oil on canvas board; 16 x 20 in.